AFDC Grants is now accepting applications for grants ranging from $25 to $375 to help youth and college ultimate athletes attend fitness/skills camps or join leagues. Grants will be paid directly to the camp or league of each recipient’s choice and will be applied to admission/membership fees.
Here’s a word from AFDC’s Juniors Director, George Li, on Youth Spring League, AFDC YCC tryouts, and USAU’s Junior National Team tryouts.
Juniors and College Terminus happened this past March. Here are the results of those tournaments and some highlight shots taken by none other than Christina Schmidt.
Are you a high school player that wants to take their ultimate skills to the next level? This week long ultimate camp may be just what you’re looking for! Continue reading to find out more!
ATL Classic is a great early season tourney for teams who are building out their rosters and preparing for the Triple Crown Tour. We draw teams from all over the Southeast. For 2014, we have also added a Youth division geared for teams who will be training for the 2014 Youth Club Championships later this summer. ATL Classic will be a USAU sanctioned tourney.
It’s an exciting time to be a woman in Atlanta ultimate and Kirsten Shell is in the center of it all. Oxygen, AWU, combines. If none of these ring a bell, you need to read on.
The name George Li may not ring a bell to many of you, but he’s an invaluable member of the AFDC Board. He’s the one working behind the scenes, heading up the committee that’s responsible for inspiring and motivating the youth of Atlanta to get involved with ultimate and become the future leaders and players that will drive our sport forward.
Women will have tiered registration in an attempt to encourage early registration and help us ensure that there are enough women for the league to function properly. Ladies, you are very important. Sign up! Early registration starts in a week!
Men’s registration for the mixed league will begin on 4/23 at noon and run through 5/14. The price will be $95.
Cores will be due on 5/7. On 5/14, every player on a core (as well as all women) will be activated into the league, regardless of registration timestamp. Men not on a core will be activated based on registration time stamp. There will only be 96 men’s spots available for non-cored players, so those will fill up in a hurry on 4/23. Get on a core!
Cores due 5/7.
CRM will be 5/21.
The draft will be 5/28.
You will play frisbee on 6/3.
Note: There will also be a men’s only league running at the same time as the coed league. It will play on the same nights and have two tournaments (the same days, times, and locations as the coed league). Registration details to follow later.
The call for captains is up on the forum. Post there or email Rich (henry dot johnston+SL at gmail) to get your core on the list!
Summer League 14 core info:
- 16 people on cores. If you’re struggling to get to 16, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with free agents. 10 men and 6 women – you’ll need a very good reason to convince me to let you have fewer than 6 women on your core. 9/7 will be easier to convince me.
- Cored individuals will have some form of ‘preferred registration’ to make captains’ lives easier during the registration rush. More details to come, but this should be incentive for us to get 24 full cores.
- Every person on your core has to know they are on your core. Talk to them. Send them an email, phone call, telegram, whatever you want to do. You cannot randomly core some person, because that person might have agreed to be on a different core. The new upgrades to the league site will likely mandate that your core members confirm that they intend to be on your core.
- Use the 0-9 scale we always use. Then subtract 2 for men, and subtract 3 for women to get the core value. (Example : Ben Rainwater is ranked 7 on the 0-9 scale. His core value is 5. Brigette Flood is ranked 6 on the 0-9 scale. Her core value is 3.) Half ranks are ok ( 5.5, etc ). NEW: You must submit the GRank value (minus 2 or 3) for players on your core. Those can be debated on merit at CRM, but we will no longer play the game of under-ranking chicken.
- The max limit for your top 7 players is a core value of 28. This is the same as last year. Freak out.
- The limit for all of your men is 39 core points.
- The total limit for all of your 16 players is a core value of 50.
- Call for captains coming on Monday