The holidays are approaching and thus comes AFDC’s 12 Days of Christmas hat tournament. This year’s theme is a partridge in a pear tree along with a nod to the Mayan end of the world.
Registration begins Monday, November 19th at http://leagues.afdc.com/
When: Dec 8th and Dec 9th
Where: Georgia Soccer Park Parking is going to be $1, similar to other AFDC events at GSP.
Time: 9 AM Saturday. Sunday 10am.
Cost: $30 – Paypal only.
Bring: Must wear a hat. As hats cover your head, visors do not count. If you are unsure of what makes a suitable hat, please consult wikipedia.
Shirts: We are again giving out Spin short sleeve jerseys designed by Leedle. We can not guarantee you get the shirt size you asked for this year due to lead times. We will be ordering the same variety of shirt sizes in each color. Get to the party Friday or the fields Saturday early to get first dibs. We are not providing discs this year.
Party and Check-in: Come to Manuel’s Tavern Friday Dec 7th at 8pm. You can get your shirt, see your team and all the others, donate to the can drive, and have a few beverages on the AFDC. You may also pick up your shirt Saturday morning at the fields. The box of shirts will be with your team.
Canned Good Drive: This year we are partnering with Intown Collaborative Ministries. While all canned food items are welcome, priority items include:
- Peanut butter (plastic container preferred)
- Jelly (plastic container preferred)
- Canned tuna
- Canned chicken or other meats
- Pasta sauce
- Shelf stable milk (powdered or boxed)
- Non-perishable juice (orange and apple preferred)
- Condiments in single serve packs
- Can openers
Blind Bet: Someone will be accepting $5 bet at the door. Bet on a team to win it all and if your pick wins you get to split the pot.
Baking Competition: You are welcome to compete in as many divisions as you choose. A panel of judges is currently being put together. Individual tastes can be acquired for the donation of one good or a dollar. Those that donate will also be allowed to vote for a fan favorite per category. Entrants should email me to express their interest. Divisions are:
- Brunch (muffins/bread/etc)
Canned Goods Showcase Showdown – whoever brings the most cans will get to choose between the following two options. Second place takes the other. Ties go to whoever donates first.
- Wildcard: Continuing from last year, the ability to switch a player from one team with a player on another. There will be restricted players on each roster that can not be traded. All trades are subject to my approval to ensure things don’t get unfair.
- Baking Competition Judge: Fill the last spot on the panel and taste all the baked goods to help crown each division champion.
Prizes: We will have prizes in the following categories.
- Bake sale (per division)
- Winning the tourney
- Best hat
- Best costume
- Most interesting canned good
Questions, jokes, stories, or riddles can be sent to Paul Brett or posed on the forums.
Photo courtesy of GSP and Tom Deaver
Designs from previous years: