Let’s Get Ho-Ho-Ho!
12 Days Juniors’ Hat Tourney Dec. 14
Join us for a fun day of mini ultimate! We have both girls’ and open divisions for middle school and high school players. Mini is three on three, teams of five or six, very fast-paced and lots of fun. If you’ve never played mini before, no worries. Rules will be explained prior to play.
- wear a funky hat – it’s a hat tourney, you have to wear a hat while you play,
- bring a water bottle,
- bring a dark and white shirt, and
- donate to the food drive.
Middle School: Check-in/Warm-up: 9:45 a.m.; games: 10:30 a.m.-1:15 p.m.
High School: Check-in/Warm-up: 12:45 p.m.; games: 1:45-4 p.m.
Location: Grady High School Stadium, 929 Monroe Dr., NE, Atlanta, GA 30308 (limited parking off of 10th Street).
Scholarships are available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration closes December 10. Register Today
This tournament is a USA Ultimate-sanctioned event.
WJUC U20 Tryout Invitees!
Congrats to Allie Fridkin, Quincy Booth, Addison Kerwin, Lucy Seward, Alondra Romero, Sierra Petrash, Ben Dameron, Justin Burnett, Jake Powell, David Chalmers and Adam Miller (pictured below left to right). These eleven players from the metro area were invited to try out for the U.S.A. U20 National Team. A hundred boys and a hundred girls from across the country will be vying for 24 positions on each team. If selected, they will have the opportunity to travel to Malmö, Sweden to play in the World Junior Ultimate Championships July 18-25, 2020. Team USA will compete against other teams from around the world. In 2018, USA brought home the gold in both divisions. The rosters are expected to be announced by January 2, 2020. Good luck to all! #WhatsThatSmell #A-T-L
YCC Teams Bring Home Two Championships
Congratulations to our YCC players! Last August, AFDC Juniors sent four teams (77 kids and 10 coaches) to compete in the Youth Club Championship in Blaine, Mn. Each year, this tournament hosts elite youth teams from across the country and the competition is fierce. Our kids rose to the occasion. After a long weekend of incredible ultimate, the rATLers (U17 girls) and the ATLiens (U20 boys) both made it to the championship game. Due to foul weather, the tournament ended with both teams being crowned co-champions in their division. We are so proud of all the work all four teams put in to be able to compete at such a high level.
Youth Elite Ultimate, y’all!
As high-level youth playing opportunities continue to grow in the ATL, AFDC Juniors is changing the name of our elite club program. In anticipation of the season expanding to more than the Youth Club Championships tournament, our program that was formerly known as YCC will now be called Youth Elite Ultimate (YEU). YEU will continue to offer some of the best coaching south of the Mason-Dixon line with experiences for U17 and U20 boys and girls teams. Our YEU teams will again travel to the Youth Club Championship in August and will look for other high-level tournaments and playing opportunities throughout the year. Details coming soon regarding tryouts in March and April.
Metro Middle School League Wraps Up 11th Year
We’ve come a long way, baby! Over 300 players from eleven schools played on 25 teams, including seven girls teams! The girls had their end-of-season tournament on Oct. 26 where Atlanta Neighborhood Charter defeated Paideia in the finals. On Nov. 2, the open divisions competed for the titles in divisions I and II. Waldorf edged out Druid Hills in Division 1, and in Division II Henderson took the title over finalists Atlanta Neighborhood Charter.
Does your middle schooler want more ultimate? Spring rec leagues for girls and open divisions will run in February and March. Registration opens in early January.
Hey Adults – We Need You!
AFDC Juniors relies on our volunteers to keep our kids playing. In addition to coaches and team managers, we need a few new people to take over leadership roles on the Juniors’ leadership committee.
- Communications Chair: Manage the social media, email, newsletters and web updates for Juniors. We use Hootsuite, Mailchimp and WordPress to get the word out.
- Spring MS Open Rec League Commissioners: We’re looking for two individuals to split duties on running the open (co-ed) league – one to handle on-the-field, day of responsibilities including coaching oversight, and one logistics person to send emails, work on organization and coordinate with USA Ultimate. We cannot have the league unless we get these positions filled. Help us out and let the kids play!! We’ll walk you through details – you won’t do it alone.
- Registration Chair: This job can be done on your computer from the comfort of your couch. Set up AFDC Juniors leagues and registrations and assist with emails and USAU logistics. The outgoing registrar will help you get up and running in no time.
Contact us at email@example.com to learn more about these and other opportunities to get involved.
COMING IN THE SPRING: Keep an eye out for more info
- Middle School Rec Leagues: girls and co-ed
- High School Leagues: girls and open divisions for both varsity and JV – check with your school or contact us for how to start a team
- Juniors Terminus: two day high school tournament in March
- Youth Elite Ultimate team tryouts: March and April
- High School States Tournaments: end of April/early May
Spin Ultimate is the proud corporate partner and exclusive apparel provider for AFDC Juniors.